What is common amongst rubber, plastic, ceramics, calamine & first aid tapes?
These products belong to different industry type but have one commom ingredient i.e. Active zinc oxide.
What is Active Zinc oxide?
Active zinc oxide is an industrial chemical produced by method of wet precipitation from zinc oxide.
Zinc oxide is formed by ionic bond of metal zinc with oxygen.
Chemical formula: ZNO
Properties of Active Zinc oxide
- High surface area & Tear resistant.
- Small particle size with great dispersion. This property leads to brighter surface of the product.
- Useful for transparent or translucent goods as it maintains colour of the vulcanizate good and there is no pigmentation.
- Low bulk density- this feature enables production of more products with less volume.
- Odorless, bitter in taste, insoluble in water and slowly decomposed by water.
Manufacturer of active zinc oxide
Ranking of countriesin order producing active zinc oxide are
The world’s biggest zinc mine is Rampura Agucha mine, Rajasthan, India
Usage in Different Industry type
Zinc as a metal has numerous uses however after changing its chemical properties to active zinc oxide,
The resultant product which act as a catalyst can be used in various industry types:
1.Cosmetics: Active Zinc oxide absorbs UVA/UVB rays well. Its photostable properties makes it an important ingredient of sunblocks
- Rubber industry: Around 50 % of produced active zinc oxide is used in production of rubber industry.
- 3. Medicines :It has anti bacterial property and is therefore used in diaper rash creams and calamine lotion for chapped skins
- Other industry– Beside above mentioned use, this inerdient is sued in footwear industry, in manufacture of Band aids, and LEDs.
Active Zinc oxide Manufacturer are present around the world. These manufaturer are not only producing a chemical ingredient but an accelerator of varied products which belong to different industry types.
The future of this ingrediemt is bright with its increasing potential uses.